(aah I didn’t realize the assignments would go out early! Sorry for having this locked, author.)
Dear Femslash Ex Writer,
First of all, may I commend you on your wonderful ship preferences. Such good taste is incredibly rare to come by; clearly, you are a very discerning, credible, and, might I add, good looking individual.
…Jokes aside, thank you so much for being my writer! <3 I will tell you now; I am probably going to love whatever you write for me. So please, don’t get stressed out over the course of this exchange! The most important thing is for you to have fun writing. If you enjoy your story, I’ll enjoy it!
Also, some of these sections may be longer and less or more excited than others – don’t take it to mean that I want a particular fandom or ship more than the others! This is one of the only times I’ve done an exchange when I truly want everything I requested equally. Some of these fandoms are just newer to me so I tend to squee more, while others are old favorites who seem so obviously wonderful to me I have trouble writing about them. Either way, I’m going to be super excited no matter what story I open during reveals.
I have a few (okay, a lot) of prompts listed out down below, but they’re more of a guide than anything. I’d be thrilled to receive anything about these lovely ladies – if you have a great idea, go for it! Also, I have some AUs and tropes I enjoy listed in the general likes section, while the fandom-specific sections are mostly canon-oriented. I’d be supremely happy with either! Canon-based prompts are just easier for me to come up with, and I think they’ll give you a better taste of what I like about these canons in general.
So, happy festing! Enjoy the wild ride of the next several weeks, and know that I am looking forward to whatever you can come up with.
My AO3 is here.
Anything family – fluffy, dysfunctional, unorthodox. Characters being genuinely good people. Characters being manipulative, power hungry assholes. Anything that plays with the way the character thinks, including mind control or mutations or other sentient beings talking in their head, and how the characters deal with it. Time travel!!! Metafiction. Worldbuilding. Internet. Character studies – and especially studies in how a relationship would actually work. Canon divergent AUs, roleswaps, any canon-based AUs like that! Dysfunctional relationships. Super functional relationships for dysfunctional people. Plain old functional relationships! Rivals who genuinely care for each other. Dubcon. Experimental writing style, non-linear narratives, anything that you wouldn’t expect. Epistolary fiction. Identity porn. Power imbalance. Slow burn. Showing love through actions, not words. Case fic, adventure fic, political intrigue. Crossovers and fusions. AUs: space operas, detective noir, historical, Hogwarts (especially with way too much thought put into sorting), Mass Effect fusion, Dragon Age fusion, met online playing a MMORPG (!!!), spies, Homestuck fusion… Horror. Humor. Angst. Mythology! History! Allusions! Characters being badass while emotionally all messed up.
I’m pretty particular in arbitrary ways about the way suicide is depicted – some ways are okay, but some can get pretty upsetting for me. So I’d prefer you stay away from the topic as much as you can. Mentions to instances in canon are okay, or things like cyanide pills for spies or whatever, but generally I’d rather it not be dwelled on.
Also, this isn’t as hardcore as the one above, but – I would prefer no PWPs! However, smut is more than fine as long as there’s other content to go along with it.
Anything else – go for it!
I recently played Dragon Age: Inquisition, and have fallen head over heels for Thedas yet again. I’ve been obsessed with these games on and off for a couple of years now, and I’d love a fic for it with any of the ships below. In general, I really love the worldbuilding in this fandom, so if you wanted to include any of that, I’d be super pleased. Even if you’re writing an AU, worldbuilding would still be great! Also, Dragon Age characters playing MMORPGs are my secret soft spot for modern AUs. Just throwing that out there.
Also, in my prompts I will occasionally mention choices I made in my specific playthroughs. It’s okay if you want to write different choices! I don’t mind at all. This is just the frame of reference I have.
I guess I should mention that part of the reason I like it so much is that it hits a ship dynamic I enjoy greatly. Mainly, where the characters are in a relationship where there’s a power imbalance – but, the person with ostensibly less power makes up for it by being smart, or sneaky, or manipulative, ambitious, stubborn, etc. Briala, being an elven handmaid turned into badass spymaster who leads an elf rebellion and also hooks up with an Empress is the perfect candidate. Not that Celene, who took over Orlais through sheer power of will, is any less badass.
I like them being dysfunctional and manipulative and very aware of the power imbalance between them, but I also like that they care for each other, that they’re both clever and determined and
Also, please note: I haven’t read Masked Empire yet (I’ve only just finished the game, like, a week ago!), but I have my hands on a copy and I will read through like burning. I might edit some parts of this section – if you matched me on this, keep that in mind!
- In my playthrough, I didn’t end up reconciling the two – I felt too guilty about Gaspard being killed, damn my moral compass – and in a way, to me, that makes it more interesting. What are Briala and Celene’s relationship like, when they’re left without the civil war, awkwardly navigating around each other? Do they ever reconcile by themselves? What about Celene’s gradually growing paranoia about Gaspard?
- An adventure fic where Celene is kidnapped and Briala has to rescue her, or where they’re both kidnapped, escape and have to pretend to be normal people would be very welcome as well. Or maybe Gaspard’s assassination plot doesn’t work, but they both have to flee the castle? Something like that!
- Briala’s too smart to try and lead an outright elven rebellion. What if she does?
- If they do reconcile, Brianna becomes a Marquise of the Dales. How does that work? How do they reignite their relationship, even after all the drama of the past?
I started shipping this in a weird way. I think I half-shipped them in Dragon Age: Origins, but never really consciously. The half-shipping feeling came back during Dragon Age: Inquisition. But the feeling never really materialized until one day, I was looking at a fic that had it tagged, and suddenly it clicked into place that I ship them like burning.
They met because they both wanted to stop the Blight for consuming the world. They’re both passionate, and neither of them particularly like each other – they argue about morality and faith and everything in between. Morrigan thinks Leliana’s a bore, and Leliana thinks Morrigan’s cruel. Despite that, though, they still have some cute moments and I think they’d be good for each other.
I’d especially love to see something set in Dragon Age: Inquistion. Leliana and Morrigan have both changed greatly since they were trampling around trying to stop a Blight together. Leliana became harder, and Morrigan got softer. Do they – finally! - meet in the middle? I think a fic where they’re catching up and trying to juggle an old friendship (that was never really a friendship) with how much they’ve both changed, and slowly falling in love.
BTW, in my world Morrigan performed the Ritual, but you can do whatever you like with that!
- I was forever sad that, after you meet Morrigan in Orlais, she didn’t get a reunion scene with Leliana! How do they react to each other? And, very importantly – how does Leliana react to seeing Morrigan wearing a very beautiful dress, like the one she’d fantasized I mean imagined Morrigan wearing in this lovely banter?
- f you want to stray from canon for a bit, I’d also be super interested in a story where for reasons, Leliana has to go undercover at the Winter Palace, where she meets Morrigan. They would instantly recognize each other, but pretend not to! Whacky situations abound involving Orlesian politics and Leliana’s super secret spy background and Morrigan being the court mage. If, during the mission, for some reason they have to pretend to be in a relationship I will love you forever.
- Of course, original flavour Dragon Age: Origins stories would also be great. Following Warden around while s/he saves people, bickering the entire time and falling in love! Morrigan slowly realizes she’s into women and Leliana helps her out! Debating religion!
- Hard mode: Leliana grew up in the Korcari Wilds as a witch, and Morrigan was an Orlesian bard. What happens next?
I completely missed Isabela in my first playthrough – she was the last character I recruited, right before Act 1 ended, and since my Hawke was also a dagger rogue, I rarely brought her along. The few times I did, she and Aveline made nasty comments to each other and so I wrote their relationship off. She vanished in Act 2, and that was the end of it.
The second playthrough I did, I was determined to experience as much of Isabela as possible, and I completely fell in love with this ship. The nasty comments were still there, but I watched them evolve into playful banter, and a genuine friendship. It’s one of my favorite relationships in the entire game; my heart just about melted when they started saying “That’s my girl” to each other.
I honestly would really love anything with them – I love how weird and complex and awesome and lovely their relationship is, so any story that plays with that would be A-OK with me! Or anything set during the transition period, when they’re not quite friends but they don’t hate each other quite as much as they did in the beginning. But, here are some prompts anyway, for if they strike your fancy:
- Isabela and Aveline getting drunk – after all, Isabela can drink with the best of them and Aveline has seriously good taste in alcohol. What do they talk about, how did this end up happening, and how long until awkward confessions arise?
- Anything that plays on their differences – an AU with serious Guard Captain Aveline being sent to take down the pirate captain Isabela, and finding her more than what she expected! Isabela as a cat burglar and Aveline as the weary cop sent after her! Both of those would be absolutely awesome.
- Something post-DAII, with Aveline trying to hold Kirkwall together – whether just through rebuilding, or actively trying to resist Starkhaven troops – and Isabela comes back for the first time in months, ready to help. How does their reunion go? How do they end up fixing everything?
- Not something I chose, but what about an AU where Hawke gave Isabela back to the Qunari? Whether Isabela somehow escapes, or Aveline goes to track her down because it’s the right thing to do…this could be really interesting.
- Failing that, I’m always up for some ladies kicking ass. Aveline and Isabela going off on a side adventure, away from Hawke, taking down slavers or blood mages or other baddies! Aveline and Isabela rescuing Hawke! Aveline and Isabela join the Inquisition! One of them is the Inquisitor!
Kill la Kill
This is the newest of my fandoms – in that I literally just finished watching this show a day or so back, eek – but holy shit I love it so much. The fanservice! The awesome characters! The completely ridiculous situations taken seriously! The friendship! Just…I love everything about it and have known that I wanted fics for this from about Episode 1. <333 I’m going to have a hard time resisting immediately rewatching this show, holy shit. (Maybe this time, I won’t spend half the time watching it with my mouth half open, completely taken aback at every single thing.)
This is the fandom I really don’t know what I want from, because I kind of want EVERYTHING. So really, go crazy with it! The show already does, haha. Also, as a sidenote – I didn’t realize when I was requesting, but I love every ship with Jakazure Nonon, so if you’d like to write anything femslashy with her, that’s fine by me!
THEY WENT ON A DATE. MY LIFE IS NOW COMPLETE.
No but seriously, this ship is the ship of my dreams. I generally don’t go for the BFFsy dynamics as much as I do for rival ones, or power imbalance ones, but Mako and Ryuuko pretty much stole my heart. They just love each other so, so much. And they’re cute and are silly and take care of each other and yell at each other when the other one is being dumb, and at the end they both took dumb selfies with Satsuki and ahh I just love them forever.
I’m mostly interested in seeing how a relationship between them would work in canon!verse, at least according to my prompts below, but if you go for an AU as long as you preserve how much they love and care for each other, I’d be absolutely fine with it.
- So how would a relationship between them work? I’d love seeing something about the problems of starting to date when you live with your entire family. Some of them who perv on your new girlfriend. Also, your girlfriend’s sister is super powerful and her four generals stalk you. …Basically, Mako and Ryuuko’s life is hard!
- If you want to go on a more serious note, them trying to explore their sexualities together and trying to fit into each other’s life would be really awesome too.
- Something canon-flavored and just completely ridiculous like the show is ridiculous would be amazing. What kind of shenanigans do they get into now? For that matter, how about the Life Fibers coming back to Earth and them trying to figure out how it works?
- I would melt at a story with Mako being her determined self and trying to rescue Ryuuko! She does so a few times during the show, but, well, her way of going about things charmed the hell out of it. And it sure would charm Ryuuko.
Okay, wait, hear me out.
I started shipping this pretty much immediately – Maiko as a sweet, gentle student who’s kind of a whiner about her injuries and really freaking badass at doing what she wants. Ryuuko being kind of into her! She complimented her, looked away and blushed! Maiko is totally her type. And then they took a sweet friend picture with Mako!
…Unfortunately, approximately ten seconds later Maiko turns out to have been in disguise and really trying to fight Ryuuko the entire time, and my dreams of Ryuuko and Maiko being cute girlfriends and chilling with Mako were dashed forever. But, after the initial ‘NOOOOOOOO’ – I still kind of want this. I kind of want it more, now that Maiko’s a badass disguise master! Tension-filled, ambiguous relationship where both of them are wary of getting to know each other but also struggle between feelings of rivalry and genuine (sexy) affection? Yes please.
This is probably the least likely of my ships to get fulfilled, and I’d be absolutely delighted if it did.
- I’d love to see something that had extended Ryuuko and Maiko’s initial interaction. What if Maiko went for the long con? Instead of only earning Ryuuko’s trust for the day, she decided to really get into her good graces by pretending to be her friend for a long period of time. Of course, being Ryuuko’s friend is hard – so much crazy things happening! - and awkward feelings develop between the two of them. What happens then?
- What does Maiko do after she’s defeated? Maybe she becomes obsessed with Ryuuko. Maybe she starts feeling sorry for what she’d done. Do they ever reconcile? Does Ryuuko’s awkward crush for Maiko ever come up again after it turns out she was evil all along?
- Ryuuko is a fighter out for revenge, and Maiko is the master of disguises. Something with that! Adventure fic where they team up to take down an enemy, bicker a lot and totally make out? Game of cat and mouse where they’re trying to outwit each other? Space opera AU, heist AUs, detective partner AUs…anything!
- I also really like identity porn, and Maiko being the master of disguise lends itself well to that trope. So! Anything with different identities and Ryuuko’s confused feelings <3
I watched this show a few months ago (and a few years too late!) and absolutely adored it. A show about a bunch of disparate personalities, all with terrible! secrets and who are lost in life end up on a mysterious Island together and try to survive, as well as earning their redemption. At the same time, lots of physics and time travel and spiritual stuff happening, a convoluted plot and genuinely emotional character interactions. I just…love this show so much.
Basically, I tore through the show and even though there’s a prodigal amount of fic for LOST, it’s still not enough to satisfy me. Especially for my favorite femslash ship!
I also fully admit that I also nominated Kate/Juliet and Kate/Claire too. I decided eventually that, while I like those ships, I was more interested in Kate/Sun for this exchange. However, I still do like them! So if you matched me on LOST and want to write Kate/Juliet or Kate/Claire instead, I wouldn’t mind.
Oh, man. Their relationship didn’t get much screentime, but there were some moments when I realized how close they were as friends, and that completely sold me on their ship. Sun told her about the pregnancy! Kate helps with her garden! They hang out and watch their kids together!
And I like how Sun seems soft at first (she tends a garden!), she’s actually stubborn and individualistic and determined. And while Kate is competent and strong and badass and a criminal, she has a surprising soft side. Basically: Team Actually Good People here. Who should totally kiss <3
I have some basic prompts here, but, much like the show itself: surprise me! This ship is uncommon enough that I’d love anything for it, really. Also, if you can, please no infidelity for this. For all their faults, I do like Sun and Jin together, so I’d prefer it being set during the time Sun thought Jin had died, or after they broke up. Thank you for understanding!
- Their time away from the Island post-season four, pre-season five. How do they deal with gaining back their ‘normal’ lives, while not feeling normal at all? What about them struggling to raise their respective kids? How do they fit into each other’s lives?
- On the Island too – the sense of fear and hope, becoming friends. Survival horror would be awesome! Or really any getting-together fic, dealing with their own feelings, Kate’s guilt about being a murderer, Sun’s guilt from her family, everyone else’s reactions…There’s plenty of things to do here.
- What about an AU where one of them being the protector of the Island, and the other stayed behind to help them out? How do they deal with all the years of their new life stretching ahead of them together?
- I have a soft spot for their differences, with Sun being this sweet woman (who’s also badass) and Kate being this badass lady (who’s also sweet). So maybe an AU with something like Sun being a princess, and Kate being a criminal, and them falling in love despite the vast differences between them? Fighting a dragon? Or maybe a mafia!AU with Sun being the leader’s daughter, and Kate falling in love with her…Something like that would be incredible.
Ah, my lovely, messed up, confusing, ridiculous, angsty canon <3 Homestuck is hard to describe in terms of plot; it’s even harder to describe in terms of why I like it. The answer is everything. The entire time I was first reading Homestuck, I was creeped out because it was like Hussie had reached into my brain and noted everything I liked before making Homestuck.
But, here’s the things I enjoy about canon: Internet-based! Online friends! Chats! Time-travel! Mythological themes! Complex relationships between awesome characters! Badass women! Awesome villains! Distinct visual style! Dumb jokes! Lots and lots of metafiction! Confusing plot! Fate vs. free will, the importance of belief, and creation myths!
Meenah Peixes/Aranea Serket
AKA the Homestuck ship I have nothing but undying adoration for. I’ve shipped them since I saw first them interact, and shipped them even more during Meenahbound, and even recent canon events haven’t made me stop shipping it. They’re just so cute! Two wildly different people who became best friends because they were both unpopular and lonely, and they played a game to try and save the world together, and who are just super sweet to each other. But they’re both pretty messed up on the inside, Aranea with her villainy and Meenah with her Condesce-ness – this kind of makes the sweetness of their relationship even more poignant for me, IMO.
I’d really enjoy something set pre-Sgrub when they’re becoming friends, that doesn’t gloss over that they only started hanging out because nobody else would and that they’re both super messed up and dangerous, but also really shows them becoming friends (and more). Or what would a relationship during the sweeps that made up their game session be like for them? Whether before or after Porrim and Aranea’s relationship. (And although Meenah didn’t find out about it until Meenahbound, I’ll admit I have a soft spot for some jealousy fic…) It’s really hard to displease me with this pairing, though. I just…ship it so much. And while I ultimately ship them red, quadrant-flipping is cool too.
- The aforementioned pre-canon relationship would be awesome as hell!
- But, failing that, something set during now in canon? Would be fine as well. They’re overdue for an angsty confrontation with them airing out their grievances to each other. And Aranea is overdue for someone shaking the silliness out of her. (Or angry makeouts. That too.)
- A no-Sgrub AU where Meenah became Condesce, however unhappily? There’s so much potential with this idea; I’d love to see anything here. How would their relationship end up then? I love all the power balance issues here, plus Meenah and Aranea’s clashing ideologies. Plus, Mindfang wasn’t a fan of the Condesce – would Aranea be a huge fan of Meenah’s ruling? Who knows!
Jade Harley/Rose Lalonde
I keep rereading Homestuck, and I keep being super sad that these two never got to interact very much! So I started thinking about how they would interact, and realized that holy shit do I ship these two so much.
They’re absolutely two of my favorite characters – Rose with her grimdarkness and loquaciousness and self-doubt and sarcasm, and Jade with her super ultra badass EVERYTHING, and her cheerfulness and her self-doubt and her garden. Rose used to be sorta wary of Jade, and her future-seeing, but evidently they were very close, although we didn’t see much of it. I love the thought of them awkwardly crushing on each other, what with their differences, and how much they’re gonna hug when they reunite. Plus, I imagine every single conversation they ever had was absolutely hilarious.
- Something set post-Sburb, with them slowly getting to know one another after their three long separation would be wonderful. They’ve both changed a lot in the interim – how do they fit into each other’s lives now?
- Homestuck is super about the Internet, and I love Internet AUs, and Rose/Jade would work wonderfully with the Internet. How about just some of their pesterlogs? Or what about them meeting playing a MMORPG? Or maybe online dating! E-mail epistolary fic? Or, hell, they met at a Squiddles fansite and are warring BNFs. I fucking adore any Internet related stories, so I’d love any of these options! <3 Or something more I haven’t even thought of.
- I really love the mythological aspect of Homestuck, and I get all tingly whenever I think about their roles, and the contrasts thereof – the Witch and the Seer. I’d love to see that explored – whether it’s more of a character study of the two of them, and how they’d work in a relationship, or it’s an AU - fantasy, steampunk, sci-fi…Rose being a Seer and Jade being a Witch, and whatever that means in this world, would be lovely.